Smoking is a bad thing. This is evident and everyone knows it. But not knowing it is easy to stop doing it. Therefore, here we bring you several benefits of stop smoking, to raise awareness that it is the best decision you can make.
Many people decide never to quit smoking because they think it is too hard. It is true because the snuff is another drug and therefore it is very addictive since it takes high amounts of nicotine. Many experts warn that nicotine is as addictive as cocaine or heroin.
But when you see the negative effects, compared to the benefits of quitting you will not think about it anymore.
First, we must warn that this process is not easy or simple and that the body will notice and feel changes during the first days of quitting smoking.
Effects when quitting tobacco
Nicotine is a stimulant, and also a depressant. Therefore, when the body needs this substance and does not have it, the heart rate will increase. Later, it will cause depression. This is where many people cannot take it anymore without smoking, and they look for a cigarette to cheer up again.
But the effects that the body will notice will also be positive, because only eight hours after quitting, the oxygen levels return to their normal state. And on the first day without smoking, the lungs begin to expel mucus, which significantly reduces the risk of infarction.
After two days, taste and smell improve and breathing costs less. At 9 months, the coughing problems are reduced. And also, if you manage to be between 10 and 15 years without smoking, the risk of lung cancer and cardiac arrest is reduced to the level of a person who has never smoked.
But are not there enough benefits of stop smoking?
Benefits of stop smoking
Before listing the benefits of not smoking, it is important to know that quitting at 30 is not the same as at 50.
- If you quit smoking at age 30, the chance of dying prematurely from tobacco-related diseases is reduced by up to 90%.
- When you quit smoking at age 50, the risk of premature death is reduced by around 50% compared to those who continue to smoke.
- If you quit smoking at age 60, you have more chance to live longer than those who continue to smoke.
Therefore, do not think about it anymore, because the sooner you leave it, the better. The most important smoking cessation benefits are the following.
Bad breath disappears
It is something of the most characteristic of snuff, bad breath that does not get away, quitting will soon leave.
Hair and clothes smell better
The smell of tobacco is something that is easily impregnated so that people who smoke usually smell hair and clothing to this.
Improves the appearance and health of the skin
One of the worst effects of tobacco is that it ages the skin, causes spots, wrinkles, and dries the skin…
You will be more fit
When smoking, when doing something as simple as climbing stairs, it already causes it to be difficult to breathe. So if you leave it, it will be much easier to climb them or walk without getting tired.
Decreases the risk of cancer
Although we have already mentioned it and it is very important to remember that health should be the first thing to take care of. And the benefits of stop smoking will help you to understand that it will reduce the risk of lung cancer and other types of health issues.
Smoker’s cough disappears
Something that makes it easy to recognize a smoker of a non-smoker is a cough. A smoker, when he takes a simple cold, suffers triple that a non-smoker. And as we said, health comes first, so if you stop smoking, that cough will disappear quite quickly.
You will help what is around you
Consuming tobacco not only affects the one who does it, but also everyone around him. Being simply exposed to tobacco smoke can increase the risk of heart attack and lung cancer by 30%. Also, if this exposure to smoke is suffered by children, it is very harmful, causing respiratory problems, ear infections…
One of the benefits of stop smoking is that tobacco costs more and more money, and being hooked to it means an almost daily outlay of money. When you quit smoking, that extra money will be noticed soon enough at the end of the month.
You will have less stress
Many people who quit tobacco, then claim that they feel less stressed. There are studies that affirm that nicotine, rather than removing stress, gets to provoke it.
You will recover lost time
The majority of smokers are not aware of the time they can lose due to tobacco addiction, nor are they aware that it is one of the benefits of stop smoking, but the truth is that a smoker loses a lot of time looking for places where to buy tobacco, especially when a holiday arrives, or at night, for example.
He also loses leisure time, because, for example, when he goes to a restaurant, he has to be constantly leaving to be able to smoke.
And the most important of all…
When a habitual smoker manages to leave his addiction to tobacco, the feeling of achievement is immense. Propose a goal, and achieve it, is one of the most satisfying feelings. When you get it, the pride is so great, that the self-esteem rises. which strengthens even more the continuation without smoking.
For this, a trick is to repeat during the first days ‘I leave it now and forever’. It is also a good idea to reward yourself with something you like every time you do a month without smoking.
Tips and tricks to stop smoking successfully
As we know that quitting smoking is not an easy task, but if it is very important for our health, here are some tips and benefits of stop smoking that will help when quitting smoking.
- Choose an exact date to start, nothing ambiguous. And when the day comes, it is important not to say “Better tomorrow”, because as we have already said, against later quitting smoking, it will take longer for its effects to disappear.
- When the day comes, the first thing you have to do is throw away all the cigars, ashtrays, Everything that reminds you of smoking or that encourages you to do so. Instead, place chewing gum all over the place for when you feel the need for a cigarette.
- Communicate openly to your family or friends, ask for help if needed, you should not be ashamed. With the support of the closest ones it will surely be easier for you.
- Analyze when you need more the cigarette. Maybe during the morning, you do not remember to smoke because you are working, but after eating is when you most want. So, a tip here would be to go for a walk as soon as you finish eating, or do some exercise … You have to analyze when you most need the cigarette to impersonate it quickly for other types of activities.
- Change the routine. Carrying out this advice is usually in most cases a triumph, since before, in your normal and daily routine, the cigarettes were there, so changing the routine completely will help you not to remember that “at that time it’s time to smoke”.
- Search for information on medications or products that replace nicotine. Today there are many products, which are sold in pharmacies for example, which help to make nicotine withdrawal not as big as chewing gum, or patches. Consult your doctor and recommend what is best for you.
- Look for support groups. In some health centers, there are support groups for people who want to quit the habit of smoking. Hypnosis, acupuncture and smoking cessation tablets also work very well, although it is best to consult with your doctor.
But, many times, even if these tips are followed, there are moments that are very difficult in which the desire to smoke increases. You have to concern about the benefits of stop smoking and manage you to be strong enough for not touching them.