Healthy protein shakes to add to the diet
Although protein shakes are an appropriate option to obtain a nutrient bonus it is always advisable to have the advice of a professional to help us find the quantities we need.
The proteins are a fundamental base of our feeding, since to these elements we owe the regeneration and the maintenance of all the tissues of our body. One way to add this protein is to consume healthy protein shakes.
The protein content in a balanced diet should be between 20 and 30% of the total daily macro-nutrients . For this, there are many foods that are a source of protein, among which we find products of vegetable or animal origin.
Therefore, we will talk about 2 of the best healthy protein shakes that you can prepare yourself and include in your diet. However, before we must have clear some important points.
The shakes are not a supplement
Many people react badly when they are told about protein shakes ; mainly because they are confused with the known food supplements . Now, this is the time to clarify that when we mention the protein shakes we refer to something different.
We recommend protein shakes not for you to stop eating everything else and base your diet only on these shakes. Rather, we advise you to add the shakes as an extra protein food that will help to guarantee your body the adequate protein intake.
In addition, it is a widespread mistake to believe that with protein shakes we will develop a bodybuilder’s own musculature . While it is true that the protein helps regenerate and strengthen the tissue of the muscles, they will not tone themselves. For this you require physical activity.
Ideal amounts of protein in our diet
The daily need for protein is around 0.8 grams per kilogram of body mass . That is, if you weigh 50 kilograms, your daily protein intake should be 40 grams. However, this is valid only for people who have a sedentary life.
If you are an individual who performs intense physical activity, your daily requirement is higher . Around 2 grams per kilogram of your body weight. For example, for a person of 50 kilograms, the amount of protein required per day is 100 grams.
These values can be difficult to obtain by means of only the daily diet. Especially for athletes and people who perform any type of physical exercise.
Benefits of homemade protein shakes
Among the benefits we can obtain with the intake of protein shakes are:
- They allow to obtain the required amount of proteins: As previously mentioned, it can be difficult to obtain the amount of proteins that we require with the daily diet. Eating smoothies can help us ensure that we consume the proportions our body needs .
- Help health in general: Our whole body is made of tissues and proteins are those that conserve them. Therefore, the intake of protein shakes favors the regeneration and health of our body.
- Allies for a healthy diet: consuming protein shakes and making them common in our daily lives prevents us from falling into the temptation of eating snacks and any kind of products that are not healthy at all.
There are many options when making healthy protein shakes. In our environment there are many foods that contain proteins and, therefore, are ideal to make these drinks. Before recommending two shakes in specific, we will detail some indications that are valid for any shake that you are going to make.
- First of all: every shake should have a liquid base , which can be cow’s milk, preferably skim milk, soy milk, almond or the one you think is most convenient.
- Second: it is very important that the shakes contain egg whites, since they are one of the best sources of high quality protein. Of course, it is necessary that they are not raw . Crude whites are not well assimilated by our body and, on the other hand, eating them in that state puts us at risk of contracting salmonellosis.
That said, always keep in mind that the egg whites must have been cooked previously. For this purpose you can boil them for a minute or insert them in the microwave for a few seconds.
1. Banana and nut milkshake
- 1 ¾ glass of the milk you have chosen (350 ml)
- 1 banana
- A handful of nuts
- 1 cup of light yogurt , preferably Greek (250 ml)
- 3 egg whites
- Ice (to taste)
- The preparation is very simple. We just have to take all the ingredients and liquefy them. It is up to you to choose ice also or not.
- If you want the shake to have a hailed texture, add it. Otherwise, they can simply be placed in the glass from which they are to be taken.
- If it has been too thick, just add a little more milk .
2. Oatmeal and strawberries milkshake
- 3 egg whites
- 1 skimmed strawberry yogurt or Greek yogurt (125 ml)
- 4 or 5 strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of oats (can be instant or in flakes) (30 g)
- 1 ¾ glass of milk (350 ml)
- As in the previous case, you only have to liquefy the ingredients. You can add a little honey, if you want to give it a sweet touch.
In any case, we must remember that to reap the full benefits of these shakes should seek advice from a specialist in nutrition . He will be responsible for determining which sources of protein are best for the body, depending on individual needs.