Crochet blankets are a longstanding popular choice of project for novice and seasoned knitters alike. Producing a large or small finished item, a crochet blanket is a satisfying undertaking with beautiful and intricate results.
There are many different yarns available that are well-suited to crochet blankets; for example, acrylic, wool, mohair and cotton options are all readily available in myriad colours and weights. There are also vegan, organic and sustainable yarn choices for crafters who wish to make ethical choices.
What to consider when making a crochet blanket
1. Blankets for babies and children will need to be soft, comfortable, and able to withstand the demands of frequent washing.
2. Blankets for heavier use, such as outdoors, will require a more hard wearing yarn, such as acrylic.
3. A decorative or occasion throw can be crafted from a more adventurous yarn.
4. Between 4 and 20 balls of yarn are required for a single blanket, depending on the size. Make sure you account for the volume required when calculating the cost to make your crochet blanket.
5. Cotton yarn is ideal for producing a heavier blanket with good stitch definition.
6. Wool, although costly, is perfect for producing a luxurious piece.
7. Acrylic yarn washes well and makes for a hard-wearing blanket.
A ready-made crochet blanket kit is ideal for beginners, as it takes out the guesswork of selecting a yarn of the correct weight and fibre content. Crochet blanket kits come with the correct amount and variant of yarn, a pattern, a needle, and a how-to guide. They are available in a huge range of styles, colours and knits, and are perfect for completing a project regardless of your skill level.
For a range of crochet blanket kits, visit a specialist such as https://www.woolcouturecompany.com/collections/blanket-and-cushions-crochet-kits.
With time and practice, you will soon have a feel for your preferred yarn of choice. Although different fibres and colours will produce different results, you can guarantee that each will be truly unique and beautiful no matter which yarn you opt for.